In our seminar today we looked at the United Nations Convention on the rights of the child. I really found this interesting and as I had never looked at these before I learnt some that I was not aware of. In groups we were given cards with pictures of different objects on. We were asked to separate these into either what we thought we 'needed' or 'wanted'. It was very eye opening to see what we consider as 'need' and 'want'.
After this session I did think about our wants and needs and how these have dramatically changed even in the last 10 years. Most people for example would say that we 'want' a mobile phone for example, but after thinking about it and even discussing it with my 6 year old daughter I started to think that I needed mine personally. I do not have a house phone and I would not know where the local phone box was or if it was actually in working order. I would most definitely need my mobile phone in an emergency and if one of the children or myself had a serious accident and I needed to call for the police or ambulance.
Although I thought about our individual needs, I also came to the conclusion that as much as our individual needs differ a great deal from one to the other, for example a diabetic will 'need' their insulin, it will differ a great deal between individuals upon the place they live, upon their individual beliefs or religions and also individuals 'needs' and 'wants' may change throughout their life time and with time.
I have found this seminar and topic interesting and very worth while especially considering we are training to potentially be teachers or within the education sector, I believe it is highly valuable to know the rights of the child and to have discussions along this subjects with the pupils themselves.



No comments:
Post a Comment